Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: mysql and XF86Config

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: mysql and XF86Config
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:34:08 -0500

* bruce bales <bbales@xxxxxxx> [2003 Aug 13 16:19 -0500]:
> Thanks, Jeff,
> This whole exercize started because I wanted to understand XF86Config
> and what XF86Config-4 was.  Xconfigurator might work fine, but it
> wouldn't help me understand how the system uses the files.
> bruce

Hi Bruce.

Well, a good place to start may well be:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/XF86Config.5.html

This is man style page that describes the sections you will encounter in
the XF86Config file.

Here is a table of contents for XFree 4.2.0:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/

Toward the bottom of the above page are online versions of the various
man pages that come with XFree.  Check section 4, Drivers, for more
information on things like mouse, keyboard, and various video drivers.

And if you have another version this page will get you to the
appropriate version:

www.xfree86.org/support.html

There is plenty of documentation.  It's not really of the handholding
nature and can be rather dense.  The best way to learn something, IMHO,
is to play with a small portion until that is understood and then move
on to other areas.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and