Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: mysql and XF86Config

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: bbales@xxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: mysql and XF86Config
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:38:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * bruce bales <bbales@xxxxxxx> [2003 Aug 12 16:21 -0500]:
>
> > Still working with XF86Config - removing all the 'mode' lines gave me
> > only a blank screen. Copied the file back and changed the driver from
> > svga to sis and the machine couldn't find it.  In
> > /usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10/drivers/video/sis/,  there are six or eight
> > files with .c and .h extensions - I suppose these have something to do
> > with it.  I'll have to do some studying to figure out what to do next.

        The stuff in /usr/src/linux really doesn't have much effect on
what your XFree86 is doing.  There is a binary in /usr/X11R6/bin called
XFree86.  This is the real driver for most of XFree 4.x.  The XF86Config-4
file gives the XFree86 binary hints as to the correct subdriver to use.
Here is an example from mine:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "r128"
        Chipset "ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP)"
        VideoRam 16536
EndSection

This identifies the first video card in the system and tells XFree86 to
use the "r128" driver (ATI Rage 128).  It turns out that the r128 driver
in XFree86 4.1 (which is what I have) does not recognize the Dell Rage 128
on-board video correctly.  After searching on google, I found out I could
append the Chipset line above and basically lie to the OS and tell it the
card is an older card using the chipset above.  Otherwise, it would try to
detect the chipset of the on-board card and die when it didn't match
anything it knew about.

        Does your system come up automatically in X?  If not, you can
examine the Xwindows startup messages.  They look something like this:

his is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86@xxxxxxxxxxx and patches submitted
to fixes@xxxxxxxxxxx.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 21 December 2001
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.17 i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Aug 11 15:00:46 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
Look for EE or WW lines (these are warnings and errors).

You can probably use:

startx 1> /tmp/messages 2> /tmp/messages2

to capture the output of startx into files.

                                Hope this helps,

                                T W

> You did keep a backup vopy, right?  :-)
>
> Rather than deleting lines go through and comment them one at a time
> with the '#' character.  When X refuses to run or runs differently then
> you know you have touched a line your configuration depends on and you
> can restore it and continue on.
>
> - Nate >>
>
> --
>  Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
>  Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and
>  Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           | have instilled in him
>   Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | a terrible resolve".
>              http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           | - Admiral Yamamoto

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx