Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Freelance Technical Support

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Freelance Technical Support
From: ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:57:09 -0500

What I mean is that if you read the litature that came with the product
and it makes no sense at all or the person feels overwhelmed.  Some
people who use computers feel that way and don't know where else to go.
 Wonder why the dummies and idiot books sell so well, the info is broken
down into simpler explanations that are in plain english.  Man pages are
not so easy to understand.  They usually end up calling a family member
or contact someone like you.

Sometimes the literature that comes with the hardware, ie motherboard is
incorrect and something doesn't work.  Checking with the product's
website I found that the driver on the CD-ROM didn't work and found the
correct driver for the onboard NIC, downloaded it, copied it to a
floppy, moved the floppy to the other computer, and installed it.  That
was easy for me and would be fore you, but some people feel that
procedures like that are not so easy.  They get overwhelmed, so they
just give up and walk away angry.  If anyone could do this type of work,
you and most of us would be out of a job.  Oh yeah--I am out of a job,
but I am still looking.  ~Anne