Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Freelance Technical Support

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Freelance Technical Support
From: ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:15:36 -0500

Carl D Cravens wrote:

>I'd say the first key is to know what FM to R.  Be ready to recommend a
>good book on the subject.  But if the customer really doesn't want to
>read, who am I to refuse a good $60 an hour to watch over the shoulder and
>teach them how to do it? :)  It all pays the same, and I'd rather be
>teaching people how to do something than fixing problems anyway.

I agree--it is hard to find out what manuals or books are the best
sources of knowledge to start reading.  That is why I object to the
RTFM, some people are too lost, have too much to do, and so little time
to do it.  That is the group of people who need tech support.  I don't
know how to do taxes like the accountants do, but I know how to resolve
most of their computer problems.  Computers and their programs are so
much more interesting to me than doing taxes.  ~Anne