Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 07:49:59 -0600

* Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxx> [2003 Feb 01 07:04 -0600]:
> Even though this thread has nothing to do with Linux, I will comment:

At first glance this is true, but the Linux, GNU, and Open Source
philosophy is about freedom.  To maintain the freedom to work with/on
Linux then we must secure our freedom by thwarting those that would
destroy us.

> After hearing on the news about Reid's comments after he was sentenced
> to life in a federal pen I wondered if he would end up spending the
> majority of his life sentence in solitary confinement. After all, I
> think if they were to let him into the general population with the other
> prisoners, the other prisoners would kill him.

I wonder about this.  I think I read somewhere (so I can't be sure of
the veracity of my information) that Islam has a very high conversion
rate among the prison population.  So, I wonder what his reception would
really be if he were let into the general prison population.

> Reid wants to kill all U.S. Americans. And our American Federal Prisons
> have American prisoners in them. I doubt that these terrorist, such as
> Reid, care whether or not your a prisoner or an upstanding citizen. If
> Reid carries his hatred and his hatred actions towards Americans into
> prison, then I have a feeling he won't live very long.

I don't think his hatred is confined to U.S. Americans.  Even though the
World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks occured on U.S. soil, they were
conducted without regard to the nationality of the people on the planes
or in the locations.  Truly, their hatred is directed toward anyone that
is not a fundamentalist Islamic, by their definition.  I do think that
an individual Islamic American would be spared their wrath so long as
that individual shared the same fundamentalist belief.  Jon Lihn Walker
seems to be proof of that.

Their goal appears to be the establishment of a fundamentalist Islamic
world order.  In order to achieve that they must destroy all other
dissenting beliefs.  To get an idea of their view of an ideal world one
needs to look no further than Iran and what was established under the
Taliban in Afghanistan.

> I don't think he will be submissive once it gets into prision. Just look
> at they way be behaved during his trial.

This quote comes from:

http://europe.cnn.com/2003/LAW/01/30/shoebomber.sentencing/

[Reid] believed bombing the plane was necessary to "prevent the destruction
of Islam." In court he described himself as a "soldier."

Young responded, "You are not a soldier in any war -- you are a
terrorist."

Calling the sentence Reid will face "a fair and just sentence, a
righteous sentence," Young said, "We do not sign documents with
terrorists. We hunt them down one by one and bring them to justice. ...
You're big, but you're not that big. You are no warrior. I know
warriors. You are a terrorist.

"You hate our freedom -- our individual freedom to live as we choose, to
come and go as we choose, and to believe or not believe as we
individually choose. ... See that flag, Mr. Reid? That is the flag of
the United States of America. That flag will fly there long after this
is forgotten. And it still stands for freedom."

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and