Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Xpde

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Xpde
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:01:38 -0600 (CST)

Just run fdisk.  Or in RH, run the Disk Druid (which I hate... but I guess
it can be nice for some people):
fdisk /dev/hdc

Then mount the new partition as, say, /home-new:

mkdir /home-new
mount /dev/hdc1 /home-new

then copy all of your data from /home to /home-new:

cp -a /home/* /home-new

Then rename /home to, say, /home-old, and remount the new partition as /home:

mv /home /home-old
umount /home-new
mount /dev/hdc1 /home

Then clean up your mess:

rmdir /home-new

Once you're sure all the data was successfully copied, you can zap your
old /home directory:
rm -rf /home-old

Then edit /etc/fstab to match the changes.

Note: This is assuming that your existing /home is a subdirectory of /,
and not a partition of itself.  If it is on its own (but too small)
partition, follow the above instructions, but instead of "mv /home
/home-old", do:
mkdir /home-old
umount /home
mount /dev/<partition for existing /home> /home-old

-- Jonathan