Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Xpde

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Xpde
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:14:42 -0600

> > Very good idea.  Whatever gets people hooked.  I know some people who
> > want to have a linux machine, just to get email and surf the web without
> > getting viruses.  Some like the screensavers, like sonar.  Others have
> > said that they want an OS and office suite without costing a forture.
>
> I don't know if Xpde is a good idea or not.  For one thing, why should
> the Unix camp now try to keep chasing the tail lights of MS when I think
> Xp shows they've decided to chase our projects.  Imitation, flattery,
> and all that apply.

What are you talking about?  How is XP chasing "our projects"?

> Another thing, the radical changes the MS desktop has taken in the past
> 6 to 7 years is proof enough that computer users are not so stupid that
> they cannot adapt (contrary to the popular FUD of the past several
> years).  Or, more precisely, the way the computer looks in
> terms of colors and icons is not a major hinderance to relearning the
> interface, IMO.  Concepts beneath the pretty pictures are the more
> difficult things to master no matter the OS, no news there.

The only radical change in the UI (if that's what you mean by 'desktop')
happend in 94/95 when Windows 95 replaced 3.1.  And that was a big change.
Lots of 3.1 users had lots of trouble adapting.  Thank goodness that
(compared to today) the people who used computers then were more or less
'computer geeks'.  I don't even want to think about the havock such a
drastic change in the main OS of the world would cause today.

Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, and XP all have nearly undistingushable
interfaces.  In fact, with very little effort, you can make it impossible to
tell the difference at first, and even second glance, to even the most
educated of users.

So I'm still left wondering what "radical changes" you're talking about.

-- Jonathan