Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Xpde

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Xpde
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:43:41 -0600

On Sunday 15 December 2002 07:59 pm, you wrote:
> Jeff helped me with the creating of a new partition, then later when I
> rebooted it said that I had an invalid partition, so I ran the upgrade
> to RH 8.0.  I made the wrong choice in the fdisk and accidently wiped
> out all my mp3 files on the 40gb hdd.  I had about 25gb of mp3 files and
> I was so upset that I wanted to scream!
>
> Moral to the story:  Don't work on the computers late at night when you
> are so tired that you don't comprehend what the message is on the
> screen.

well, i for one, have not learned that lesson yet, however, i should have a
long time ago! :P  earlier this year, i almost lost my 7,000 mp3 collection
when doing a similar thing (was converting a windows machine into an mp3
jukebox using MDK9).  HOWEVER, when the partition got deleted, i used Active@
Partition Recovery (www.partition-recovery.com) and was able to FULLY restore
the partition table and didn't lose a single mp3!!!  man, if i only knew
about it a few years earlier, my collection would be closer to 7,500! :(

moral to the story: when you think you have screwed something up bigtime,
search google.com like a madman (or woman) before giving up hope.

gLaNDix