Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Xpde

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Xpde
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:58:44 -0600

* Anne McCadden <ironrose@xxxxxxx> [2002 Dec 04 16:20 -0600]:

> Very good idea.  Whatever gets people hooked.  I know some people who
> want to have a linux machine, just to get email and surf the web without
> getting viruses.  Some like the screensavers, like sonar.  Others have
> said that they want an OS and office suite without costing a forture.

I don't know if Xpde is a good idea or not.  For one thing, why should
the Unix camp now try to keep chasing the tail lights of MS when I think
Xp shows they've decided to chase our projects.  Imitation, flattery,
and all that apply.

Another thing, the radical changes the MS desktop has taken in the past
6 to 7 years is proof enough that computer users are not so stupid that
they cannot adapt (contrary to the popular FUD of the past several
years).  Or, more precisely, the way the computer looks in
terms of colors and icons is not a major hinderance to relearning the
interface, IMO.  Concepts beneath the pretty pictures are the more
difficult things to master no matter the OS, no news there.

If Xpde fills a niche, fine.  Otherwise it might be better to introduce
folks to a Free Unix that doesn't appear to be a Windows knock-off,
unmet expectations and all that.

BTW, no snow here in the north end of the state. :)

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and