Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux Time-Table

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux Time-Table
From: Luke Wahlmeier <howdyboby2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:52:54 -0800 (PST)

I don't really know what version od X you are running,
X requires very little, the GUI is the hog, try IceWM,
or TWM.  I reasently had to setup a p-90 with 16mb ram
and a 540 mb HD with linux, after some tweaking, and
usinf X3.3.6 it took it only 3 min to boot up all the
way, with auto login into IceWM.  it does swap alot,
but dillo pulls up in about 6 to 7 sec, mozilla the
first time you open it took almost a minute, but if
you do not manually clear it all out of memmory after
closing it it opens within 30 sec the 2nd time, also
depends on your settings, i turned off pretty much
every thing.  this install was made with mandrake 8.2
and took up only 250mb when i got done.  the computer
is now used to connect to a terminal server, it does
this automaticly after X is started with out loading a
gui, this is exremly fast, then boot up is less then 1
and a half min.  i did this on a test install with
vmware before i did it.  on a 933 it took less the
30sec to boot and pull up a gui.  sys logger, and
pretty much anything not needed were stoped.  it gave
me hope for the 133 i have at home, so going to try
that one in a few days.  Just remeber with linux
anything is possable, time reseach, and knowlage can
get it done.