Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux Time-Table

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux Time-Table
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:09:40 -0600

The fact that X requires about 128mb RAM minimum to operate is a problem,
IMO.  I can run Windows (granted, an old version, but it will still run
modern applications) in 32mb and achieve nearly the same performance (as far
as graphic output, not sheer number crunching).

My 486 laptop, as an old example, has 24mb RAM and runs Win95 "comfortably."
It takes me about 30 seconds to open a web browser.

In X on the same system, it takes a good 5 minutes to open a web browser,
due to swapping.

Granted, a 486 is not exactly a good measure of how modern operating systems
should perform.  But the fact that I can run the latest version of most
applications on a 486 with Windows (slowly, granted) but not in X, makes it
at least a somewhat valid comparison, IMO.

Of course, compared to Windows XP, X is a great improvement, as far as
system requirements are concerned.  But I think that, too, is a flawed
comparison, b/c Windows XP doesn't use the resources it consumes for
anything useful :)

Anyway... I just don't see X as a good option for a general-purpose GUI.

That's not to say that OpenSource couldn't come up with something better :)

-- Jonathan