Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux and Creationism...

To: ACLUG <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux and Creationism...
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:23:55 -0500

* Burt Humburg <bhumburg@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2002 Apr 24 21:03 -0500]:

> I'm kinda involved in the creationism battles in Kansas and in our whole
> country. This was posted to one of the many listservs of which I am a
> member. I hope it doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities.

Yeah, it did offend my sensibilities, but probably not in the way most
would expect.  If people would ask, yes, I consider myself a Christian
and attend my church regularly and am becoming more active in it.

How this offends my sensibilities is its total cluelessness and kneejerk
reaction to all the terms in common usage plus the incredible leaps of
logic required to reach the conclusions.  All I can say is that anyone
who would believe this tripe is so insecure in their faith that they do
not realize they are being led astray.  However, many who read it will
likely come to believe that anything by Microsoft, which curiously isn't
mentioned, is blessed and all else was designed by some unholy alliance
in Hell.

> I think my favorite quote here would have to be the fact that anyone using a
> "daemon" is:
> 1) Acting unchristian
> 2) Is a notoriously poor speller

I really wish they had managed to disparage Linux by its Tux mascot.  Of
course Open Source is equated with communism and thus "unchristian."
Funny thing, though, anyone doing objective reading of the Book of Acts
will quickly learn that the early Christians led a very communal lifestyle
very much like the utopian communism (not the Marxist variety).

I guess the freedom of speech includes the freedom to be a fool.

Sigh...

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and