Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:19:08 -0600

Recompiling the kernel has ZERO effect on running processes. The most common
reason for recompiling is to gain some new feature or hardware support offered
by a later kernel revision.  The kernels that are shipped with modern
distribuitons have 'hooks' built in to support modules for a wide array of
devices.  It is possible to reduce the base 'footprint in ram' of the kernel by
only building in the 'hooks' that are needed to support your exact hardware.
However, if you should later change hardware, you will need to recompile the
kernel to support the new hardware. It is also possible to optimize the kernel
code for your particular model of processor, but the same caveats apply.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secretary - info@xxxxxxxxx