Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:39:32 -0600

Granted, there are some things that aren't supported by the stock kernel
modules.  But how many new to average users are going to know how to find
those sub-options?  Sure, we can show them, but I think this is more an
advanced user topic.  You really have to know your hardware and know your
way around linux to avoid ending up with a non-bootable system.

> I would disagree that it has zero effect on running processes.

Okay, zero was a poor choice of words. But the discussion was to remove
running processes by recompiling the kernel, and that is simply wrong.

> That being said, generally the distros will have better kernel setups
>  than most people will be able to create, but they may lack a
> specific piece
> of hardware, so you may need to go in and complile modules/recompile the
> kernel.

Perhaps. But, if the module isn't in the stock setup, there's a good chance
that it's bleeding edge in support, and you may well end up with a broken
system by trying to get it compiled in.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this:  we've had new users ask about
recompiling kernels, but I don't feel this falls in new user territory. It's
a mid to advanced level topic. When we cover it, we need to make this clear.
It's quite possible to end up with a kernel that will not boot.  You need to
know how to fix this if it does happen.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx