Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Now for some of my musings...

To: "Aclug Discussion" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Now for some of my musings...
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:48:58 -0600

Having listened to everyone else bitch, cry and moan, I thought it time to put
into words my thoughts about Aclug in general.

The Aclug Website
-----------------

What can I say?  There's nothing there.  There's nothing there, because no one
wants to take the time to print out notes that can be posted there.  Then
there's the whole administrative access problem. Things are the way that they
are because our host doesn't want to do it any other way.  I barely know Zope,
and even if I knew more, I still don't have enough access to make complete
changes in layout. If I had my choice, I'd probably do the site in straight HTML
so it could be easily mirrored (currently it can't be). I'd like to use
faq-o-matic or something similar to set up an area where members could answer
those recurring questions. Links to other Linux sites. Maybe even a spot for
guest editorials.

The Discussion Lists
--------------------

While there's nothing really wrong with them, I have wondered if a web based
forum might work as well.  With the right software, I've seen web forums that
really work well.  Flaming can be dealt with as appropriate.  Message archival
may be a little tougher, though.

The Meetings
------------

This is the tough one.  How do you attract quality speakers?  How do you get
people interested enough to keep coming. It's hard to retain members by going
over new and more difficult topics without alienating new members.

We've discussed the option of having two groups, a beginners and an advanced
group. But then we are spreading ourselves even thinner trying to do both. If we
can find the resources, maybe it's time to do just that.

Final Thoughts

I've seen more constructive comments in the last two days than I've seen in the
previous two years. Some of it has been a bit critical, but it probably needed
to be said.  Now we just need to gel these thoughts into something that works.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secretary & Website Maintainer - info@xxxxxxxxx