Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Now for some of my musings...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Now for some of my musings...
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Feb 2002 12:13:40 -0500

"Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> there's the whole administrative access problem. Things are the way that they
> are because our host doesn't want to do it any other way.  I barely know Zope,
> and even if I knew more, I still don't have enough access to make complete
> changes in layout. If I had my choice, I'd probably do the site in straight
> HTML

Dale, this is not correct.  Things are in Zope because that's the way
it was when I ran ACLUG and when the transition to the committee
occured, was determined to be the best option by the new people.  I'm
perfectly willing to provide a directory for plonking down plain HTML
files.  All you have to do is ask -- please don't assume the answer is
"no" before even asking.

You and Clint have complete administrative access to aclug.org pages
and can literally make them look any way you want and have had such
access for quite awhile.

I want to do whatever I can to help out ACLUG.

> so it could be easily mirrored (currently it can't be). I'd like to use
> faq-o-matic or something similar to set up an area where members could answer
> those recurring questions. Links to other Linux sites. Maybe even a spot for
> guest editorials.

faqomatic is already installed on the host and would be no problem to
use.  There are also several Zope products to use.

> While there's nothing really wrong with them, I have wondered if a web based
> forum might work as well.  With the right software, I've seen web forums that
> really work well.  Flaming can be dealt with as appropriate.  Message archival
> may be a little tougher, though.

pi also has a full inn2 installation capable of presenting mailing
lists as newsgroups, FYI.

-- John