Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Now for some of my musings...

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Now for some of my musings...
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:43:48 -0600

Oh really.  I don't remember us ever being completely happy with the Zope
idea. You initially wanted to leave it that way so we couldn't 'screw it
up'. The last time we brought up dumping Zope, you complained about all the
hard work you put into it and that you really were opposed to the idea.
Maybe you never outright said you wouldn't, but you didn't give the
impression that you would be willing to change it. And this isn't the first
time we'd had this conversation.

> You and Clint have complete administrative access to aclug.org pages
> and can literally make them look any way you want and have had such
> access for quite awhile.
>
> I want to do whatever I can to help out ACLUG.

Maybe it's just me being not fully familiar with Zope, but I have found
things difficult to change.  I know in the past I've tried to change some
things and got insufficient access warnings. Maybe you fixed that after I
gave up trying.

> > so it could be easily mirrored (currently it can't be). I'd like to use
> > faq-o-matic or something similar to set up an area where
> members could answer
> > those recurring questions. Links to other Linux sites. Maybe
> even a spot for
> > guest editorials.
>
> faqomatic is already installed on the host and would be no problem to
> use.  There are also several Zope products to use.

That helps, but do we have admin access to modify it as needed?  The lack of
access to the box Aclug is hosted on has been raised every time we've
threatened to move Aclug.org.  Maybe we need to sit down and talk about this
issue again?

> > While there's nothing really wrong with them, I have wondered
> if a web based
> > forum might work as well.  With the right software, I've seen
> web forums that
> > really work well.  Flaming can be dealt with as appropriate.
> Message archival
> > may be a little tougher, though.
>
> pi also has a full inn2 installation capable of presenting mailing
> lists as newsgroups, FYI.

You asked us about installing it, but never said what decision you'd
reached.

Most of this may just be a lack of communication issue. The lack of
face-to-face interaction definately complicates things a bit. It's just that
sometimes I feel like you are the 'over-protective parent' that won't let us
make our own mistakes.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx