Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Question: CD-R/RW Media Types

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Question: CD-R/RW Media Types
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:54:56 -0600

CD-Rs marked "for music" are made to work with consumer audio CD recorders.
Data CD-R media won't work in this recorders. These are the result of
legislation enacted by the recording industry in an effort to stop recordable
CDs. They can't seem to figure out that virtually everyone has a computer
these days and that the computer recordable CD drives are much cheaper then
the audio recorders (standalone, like a cassette recorder...).

I think the "for music" CD-R media will also work in your computer, but why
would you want it, since it costs a lot more then regular data CD-R media?
The only reason to buy it is if you have a recorder that will only record on
those.

Greg

On Sunday 25 November 2001 09:19, you wrote:
> OK I have seen CD-R media marked "MUSIC"
>
> Is this just an advertising ploy (like the $0.55 VHS tapes that have a
> title of  SUPER TAPE) or is there a difference in the media itself?
>
> Also why is there so many different 'sizes' of storage space on CD-R media?
> I have seen packaging listing storage sizes ranging from 550mb to 800mb...
> yet they all list a recordable time of near equal length (74 to 80
> minutes?) Is one size based on the storage size W/Out formatting info, the
> larger size??
>
> Is there a web site that can answer these types of questions?
>
> --David

"Wow, I didn't know being a super hero could be so painful."