Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:05:58 -0600

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:21:27PM -0600, jeffrey l koehn wrote:

> Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose. So
> sit back and watch it happen.
>
> That's right, Linux will be on every desktop

I hope not.  Linux on every desktop would be a HUGE consumer headache.

> and server and you can damn me all to hell
> for saying so, but that is how it will be.
> The all American Dollar rules. What becomes
> a standard is determined by economics
> ( the cost of the product).
> There was a time when you could get Windows 3.1,
> for $30.00 and that is when Micro$oft
> became a standard, it was'nt because of
> superior technology.

Actually, Microsoft became the standard about 10 years earlier with the
release of MS-DOS.  It was the success of the IBM PC that made Microsoft the
standard, not the release of Windows 3.1.

> The genie (GPL, Linux, Open-Souce) was let out
> of the bottle long time ago and as time passes
> it will consume everything. If you ask me, it
> reached critical mass in 1998. The genie can not
> be put back into the bottle. And so the
> next business/technology model has
> already been determined.
>
> Why?
> Because:
> 1)Lower Cost ( The Linux Kernel doesn't cost anything)

It doesn't cost anything to obtaion.  To MANTAIN it can still be VERY
expensive.  That's why it's used mostly by "geeks"--b/c they don't have to
hire anyone to MANTAIN it for them.

> 2)Open-source Kernel
> 3)The "GPL, Linux, Open-Source Kernel"
> is the perfect technology foundation
> for Manufacturing and the masses
> because people, businesses, universities,
> governments contribute to it.
> 4) Linux can scale up or down

Most people don't need an OS to scale.  They need an OS to run on their
consumer-grade PC.  The ability of Linux to run on embeded microcontrollers
is irrelevant to them.  Likewise, the ability of Linux to run on multiple
parallel high-end servers with SCSI RAID arrays is also irrelevant to them.

> 5) Linux is hardware agnostic
> 6) "Linux, Open-Source" can and
>      will morph into future tecnologies
>      that will benefit all.
>
> If your not using Linux and your
> still using MS windows, you better
> wake up and smell the coffee
> because the world has changed.

I think most of us on this list are already using (or trying to use) Linux.

And Linux is great.... but it's not the end-all be-all of computer operating
systems or anything.