Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] SVGAlib/Quake question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] SVGAlib/Quake question
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:25:29 -0600

Ok, I was messing around with trying to set up Quake for my little home
network, for a little amusement when people come over and I'm having a bit of a
problem getting it working.

First off xquake won't run at all. it reports the following error, even when
run as root:

        ./quake.x11: can't load library 'libX11.so.6'

I checked and I have libX11.so.6 installed on my system. So what gives? Does
/usr/X11R6/lib need to be in my path?

Ok, I didn't really want to run xquake anyhow, just did that for a test...

squake has a problem with the mouse. When I ran from my account, the mouse
didn't work at all. That was because I didn't have write access to /dev/psaux.
Got that fixed, but now the game acts like it's getting constant input from the
mouse. It fires constantly (when I'm not touching the button) and keeps running
uncontrollably in circles!

My mouse is a Microsoft PS/2 mouse, and the mouse line in libvga.config says:

        mouse Microsoft

I thought that was right...

The quake HOWTO talked about interference with GPM, so I killed that, no
difference. It also talked about setting mouse_accel_type to normal, again, no
difference. What gives?

I looked around and didn't see another SVGAlib game on this system to test it
with. Any ideas there?

Thanks,
Greg