Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: SVGAlib/Quake question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SVGAlib/Quake question
From: Brian Chapman <tchapman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:18:29 -0600

At 1/30/00 11:25 AM , Greg House wrote:
> First off xquake won't run at all. it reports the following error, even
> when run as root:
>
>       ./quake.x11: can't load library 'libX11.so.6'
>
> I checked and I have libX11.so.6 installed on my system. So what gives?
> Does
> /usr/X11R6/lib need to be in my path?

That's strange. You can try running `ldd quake.x11` and see where it's
expecting libX11.so.6 to be. You can then try adding that directory to
/etc/ld.so.conf and run `ldconfig` (as root). That's probably not the best
way to do it, but it depends on how bad you want it to work. You can
always remove it later.

> My mouse is a Microsoft PS/2 mouse, and the mouse line in libvga.config
> says:
>
>       mouse Microsoft
>
> I thought that was right...

No, that's for serial mice (DB9) conforming to Microsoft Window's (pseudo)
standard for how serial mice should communicate. PS/2 mice connected via
the PS2 aux port should simply state:

       mouse PS2

> The quake HOWTO talked about interference with GPM, so I killed that, no
> difference. It also talked about setting mouse_accel_type to normal,
> again, no difference. What gives?

GPM only interferes on some hardware, IIRC. the mouse_accel_type has to do
with the acceleration of the mouse in accrdinace to how fast you spin it
around. It's more of a preference you have to discover for your self.
Quake has it's own (accelerated) settings to play with too.

you might try looking at the README.config file for SVGALib.
/usr/docs/svgalib-x.xx maybe?

> I looked around and didn't see another SVGAlib game on this system to
> test it with. Any ideas there?

might try freshmeat.net, linuxgames.com, tuxgames.com, or a sunsite
mirror.

> Thanks,

sure. :-)

.bjc