Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: BeOS? What is it?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: BeOS? What is it?
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 15:04:39 -0600 (CST)

the interesting thing about this is that NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP aren't
really unices in and of themselves...  they are just a layer on top of the
kernel (in  NeXTSTEP it's MACH, but OPENSTEP can be run on a number of
platforms including NT)...  they are basically just the UI and the
development environment...  similar to GNOME and KDE, but even more
powerful and more comprehensive...  closest thing to *STEP is GNUstep,
which is an implementation of the OPENSTEP API for linux (since there
never was one created, and if it was, it'd be VERY expensive)...  it's not
an OS, but an extension of it in a manner of speaking...

jesse

          <<< Jesse Kaufman (kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) >>>