Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: networking help needed

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: networking help needed
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:10:13 -0600

> I finally have a new system set up and running, but I have been
> unsuccessful in getting a few things done. I can't find the documentation
> either, so feel free to point me to any resources you may find. The HOWTOs
> I've read don't seem to quite match my situation.
>
> I've got Corel Linux installed, which is based on Debian. I can
> usually get
> my local network running, but I want to get things working with my cable
> modem. It sounds like my ISP is different than RoadRunner in that I just
> set networking to DHCP (Obtain an IP address automatically in Windows). I
> don't need to have a username, or anything else.
>
> Question 1: How do I set up Linux to connect to a DHCP network?

If you don't get it working, may I suggest you attend the meeting on Feb 14,
when we will be covering DHCP & Cable Modems?

> Question 2: Since I have two NICs (one for my LAN and one for the cable
> modem), how do I set up networking for each card? Which
> should/will be eth0
> and which should be eth1?

My suggestion is to make the LAN eth0 and then bring up eth1 for the cable
modem. The default settings will configure eth0 properly for the LAN, and
then you only have to worry about configuring eth1

> And now for something completely different:
> How do I get Linux to recognize that I have 96MB of RAM?

IIRC, 2.2.x kernels will see the RAM without help, whereas you will have to
tell lilo append "mem=96M".  From the BootPrompt-HOWTO:

  ``The kernel will accept any `mem=xx' parameter you give it, and if it
  turns out that you lied to it, it will crash horribly sooner or later.
  The parameter indicates the highest addressable RAM address, so
  `mem=0x1000000' means you have 16MB of memory, for example.  For a
  96MB machine this would be `mem=0x6000000'.  If you tell Linux that it
  has more memory than it actually does have, bad things will happen:
  maybe not at once, but surely eventually.''

  Note that the argument does not have to be in hex, and the suffixes
  `k' and `M' (case insensitive) can be used to specify kilobytes and
  Megabytes, respectively. (A `k' will cause a 10 bit shift on your
  value, and a `M' will cause a 20 bit shift.)  A typical example for a
  128MB machine would be "mem=128m".

--dwh

Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             -- www.neuralmatrix.org * www.dnd-automotive.com --