Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] networking help needed

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] networking help needed
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:30:33 -0600

I finally have a new system set up and running, but I have been
unsuccessful in getting a few things done. I can't find the documentation
either, so feel free to point me to any resources you may find. The HOWTOs
I've read don't seem to quite match my situation.

I've got Corel Linux installed, which is based on Debian. I can usually get
my local network running, but I want to get things working with my cable
modem. It sounds like my ISP is different than RoadRunner in that I just
set networking to DHCP (Obtain an IP address automatically in Windows). I
don't need to have a username, or anything else.

Question 1: How do I set up Linux to connect to a DHCP network?

Question 2: Since I have two NICs (one for my LAN and one for the cable
modem), how do I set up networking for each card? Which should/will be eth0
and which should be eth1?

And now for something completely different:
How do I get Linux to recognize that I have 96MB of RAM?

Thanks,
John