Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: traveling with a laptop computer

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: traveling with a laptop computer
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:22:09 -0600

I think this has probably been answered already, but I'll take my shot
at it as well.

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 01:01:13AM -0600, John Reinke wrote:
> My apologies for being slightly off-topic:
>
> Has anyone taken a laptop on a commercial airliner? I'm curious about two
> things:
>
> 1) Do you put it through the X-ray machine or have the security people look
> at it (to determine that it isn't a bomb or weapon)? Will putting it
> through the X-ray machine hurt anything?

You will need to put it through the X-ray machine, but from what I
understand, this is harmless. At some airports (particularly larger
international airports) you may have to take the laptop out and show
that it starts up. At a small airport, like Wichita, I doubt that you
would need to do this. I was a bit worried once because my laptop
battery did not work and they wanted me to take it out and show that
it starts. Well there was just enough juice that when I hit the power
button, the LEDs blinked a bit. That was good enough for them.

> 2) Do airlines allow you to use your computer while in flight?

You can not use it during takeoff and landing, but otherwise you can.

> I have a flight this weekend, and wanted to know what I would be getting
> into if I take it with me.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963