Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: traveling with a laptop computer

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: traveling with a laptop computer
From: John Alexander <john.alexander@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:56:22 -0600

> > 1) Do you put it through the X-ray machine or have the security people
look
> > at it (to determine that it isn't a bomb or weapon)? Will putting it
> > through the X-ray machine hurt anything?
Hasn't yet, and I fly a whole lot more than I like. You may be asked to turn
it on, or to remove it from the bag so that they can wipe it with a cloth
and put it into a 'sniffer' to look for explosives.

> > 2) Do airlines allow you to use your computer while in flight?

Yep, you have to wait about ten minutes or so after take off before they
will let you, though.
> > I have a flight this weekend, and wanted to know what I would be getting
> > into if I take it with me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John

TRUE STORY:
About 4 trips back, I recompiled my kernel on the flight home. The lady next
to me started freaking out, like I was trying to take control of the plane
remotely. Wonder how long it will be before she joins the rest of us in the
20th (or is that 21st?) century?

ja