Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Road Runner

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Road Runner
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:59:26 -0600

Wayne White wrote:

> Well, happy day, Road Runner is finally available in El Dorado.
> I have an appointment for installation on Monday. I'm hoping
> that someone who already has RR can answer a few questions.
>
> Will I need the rrlogin program for linux to connect/login
> to multimedia's RR?

You only need rrlogin to access your account information on
www.rr.com; e.g., to change passwords, set up sub-accounts,
etc. To get internet access, all you have to do is get the
second NIC working.

> I understand that I will need a new version
> of pump and have downloaded that and will install it tomorrow.

I don't know what pump is.

> Are there any snags with that to look out for? I'm running
> RedHat6.0 with kernel 2.2.5smp (I think), but could compile
> 2.2.13smp if that would help.
>
> I am currently IPmasqerading my home network over the dial up
> connection. Will the switch to RR require any changes in the
> network machhines to continue IPmasqing? Any changes required
> of the linux machine, other than a second NIC, to keep the
> network IPmasqing?

I still haven't gotten around to doing that, so you're ahead
of me there. I'd guess it's the same.

> In general, are there any problems with using Road Runner that
> I haven't thought of? Any that I should be aware of? Any neat
> tricks to make the transition easier?

Yeah, your machine will be exposed more than ever, so tighten
up security: shadow passwords, /etc/hosts.deny, etc. I had my
machine hacked into, probably by one of those infamous "kiddie
scripts": it changed login, passwd, motd to something about
"FEED THE COWS", and proceeded to rm -r /root /usr /home. I
was running RH 6.0 with "traditional security". I've since
installed RH 6.1, which defaults to much better security.

One problem I have (not strictly RR) is that I'm using Netscape's
mail program, which remembers my password for getting mail
(via pop-server), but I can't figure out how to get it to
remember my password for sending mail (via smtp-server).