Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: SCSI card

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SCSI card
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:26:54 -0600

I'm using an AdvanSys card for my CDR, CD, and a HD.  I got it b/c it's well
supported in Linux (the manufacturer writes the drivers themselves, I
believe--opensource).  Mine was very cheap.... About $42 including shipping.
It's just a SCSI-2 card, no ultrawide fancy stuff like that.  But for CD
burning, it's plenty fast enough.  It's got an internal 50-pin SCSI port and
an external 25-pin SCSI port so I could also hook up a scanner or Zip drive
or other external device(s) to it as well.

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:19:38PM -0600, James G. wrote:
> Thomas Wallis wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, James G. wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone recommend a decent SCSI card to use with a CD-RW drive with
> > > Linux?
> > >
> > > The 3 major brands I come up with are:
> > >
> > > 1. Mylex
> > > 2. AdvanSys
> > > 3. Adaptec
> > >
> > > There seems to be too many speeds, bus widths and prices to choose from
> > > (not to mention bogus marketing names).
> > >
> > > What is the typical general purpose specification for a good PCI SCSI
> > > card (for home use)?
> > >
> > > James
> >
> >         Dear James:
> >
> >         I personally try to use Buslogic/Mylex because the cards are well
> > supported under LINUX.  Another possibility is an NCR/Symbios Logic
> > chipset controller.  These are usually the cheapest, and normally work
> > fine under LINUX.  However, you should check out any card you want to buy
> > on the web first.
> >
> >                                         Tom W.
>
> According to the SCSI howto, MYLEX is preferred.  I read the SCSI FAQ and
> this is what is listed:
>
> SCSI 1   =  5MHz
> SCSI 2 Fast  =  10MHz
> Ultra or Fast20  = 20MHz
> Ultra2 or Fast40 = 40MHz
> SCSI 3 = Not a standard yet and blow off marketing hype.
>
> There are "narrow" and "wide" bus width configurations.
>
> Also, Yamaha is recommended for having a great line of CD-RW.
> They recommend getting a PCI SCSI 2 card with minimum speed of 10MB/sec
> (MB/Sec is different then 10 MHz and changes with bus width).
>
> And, E-IDE CD-RW is ok if you can separate the hard drive and CD between the
> two IDE channels (ribbon cables).
>
> Basically, SCSI multitasks (UNIX) and IDE monotasks (MSDOS).
>
> (I still do not have a part number picked out on a card yet though.)
>
> James

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
                  -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux  =-