Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: SCSI card

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SCSI card
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:19:38 -0600

Thomas Wallis wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, James G. wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a decent SCSI card to use with a CD-RW drive with
> > Linux?
> >
> > The 3 major brands I come up with are:
> >
> > 1. Mylex
> > 2. AdvanSys
> > 3. Adaptec
> >
> > There seems to be too many speeds, bus widths and prices to choose from
> > (not to mention bogus marketing names).
> >
> > What is the typical general purpose specification for a good PCI SCSI
> > card (for home use)?
> >
> > James
>
>         Dear James:
>
>         I personally try to use Buslogic/Mylex because the cards are well
> supported under LINUX.  Another possibility is an NCR/Symbios Logic
> chipset controller.  These are usually the cheapest, and normally work
> fine under LINUX.  However, you should check out any card you want to buy
> on the web first.
>
>                                         Tom W.

According to the SCSI howto, MYLEX is preferred.  I read the SCSI FAQ and
this is what is listed:

SCSI 1   =  5MHz
SCSI 2 Fast  =  10MHz
Ultra or Fast20  = 20MHz
Ultra2 or Fast40 = 40MHz
SCSI 3 = Not a standard yet and blow off marketing hype.

There are "narrow" and "wide" bus width configurations.

Also, Yamaha is recommended for having a great line of CD-RW.
They recommend getting a PCI SCSI 2 card with minimum speed of 10MB/sec
(MB/Sec is different then 10 MHz and changes with bus width).

And, E-IDE CD-RW is ok if you can separate the hard drive and CD between the
two IDE channels (ribbon cables).

Basically, SCSI multitasks (UNIX) and IDE monotasks (MSDOS).

(I still do not have a part number picked out on a card yet though.)

James