Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: SCSI card

To: aclug list <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SCSI card
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:36:42 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, James G. wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent SCSI card to use with a CD-RW drive with
> Linux?
>
> The 3 major brands I come up with are:
>
> 1. Mylex
> 2. AdvanSys
> 3. Adaptec
>
> There seems to be too many speeds, bus widths and prices to choose from
> (not to mention bogus marketing names).
>
> What is the typical general purpose specification for a good PCI SCSI
> card (for home use)?
>
> James

        Dear James:

        I personally try to use Buslogic/Mylex because the cards are well
supported under LINUX.  Another possibility is an NCR/Symbios Logic
chipset controller.  These are usually the cheapest, and normally work
fine under LINUX.  However, you should check out any card you want to buy
on the web first.

                                        Tom W.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx