Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: modprobe question...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: modprobe question...
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 06:15:23 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, gLaNDix wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, gLaNDix wrote:
> >
> > *cough* It means that on Nov 18 at 2:26 AM, modprobe couldn't locate
> > the ppp-compress 21,24, and 26 modules *cough* :)
>
> um, that's not quite what i meant...  : ^ )

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

> > If your ppp connection is fine, then edit /etc/modules.conf and put
> > alias ppp-compress-21 off
> > alias ppp-compress-24 off
> > alias ppp-compress-26 off
>
> it is "fine", but what do they do?  would my connection be "more
> fine" if one of them worked?

Dale sent a note that says they refer to compression techniques for
ppp. I haven't fiddled with them much; I probably compiled them into
the kernel instead of as modules.

> > "Use the source" to determine their use.
>
> and how would that be accomplished?

mmmmmmm, /usr/src/linux/drivers/net I think? Look for ppp.c, then for
ppp-compress or bsd-deflate or whatever that was.  Cross your fingers
and look for related comments in the code.  Failing that, search the
net for ppp-related info/standards/protocols and see if clears
anything up :)

-jeff
--
Homer:  No beer and no TV make Homer something something ...
Marge:  Go crazy?