Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: modprobe question...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: modprobe question...
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:02:25 -0600

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 11:33:55AM +0100, gLaNDix wrote:

> > Dale sent a note that says they refer to compression techniques for
> > ppp. I haven't fiddled with them much; I probably compiled them into
> > the kernel instead of as modules.
>
> yeah, saw this right after i posted my msg...  where would i compile those
> into the kernel?  i looked around in 'make xconfig', but didn't see
> anything that looked like it to me...  what do i look for...

Um, somebody correct me, but when you do any of the make config scripts
for the kernel, it specifically states that bsd compression (ppp
compress the same?) only works when compiled as a module.  I ran
into a situation sometime back with my current ISP where the link
stopped working and it was due to a lack of ppp header compression
on my end.  Compiled that module and it's worked fine ever since.

The problem may be that /etc/modules.conf is lacking at least the
following lines:

alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   bsd_comp

Since your error also included a reference to ppp-compress-26, simply
add a third line and see if the error messages go away.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom
 Internet | ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx                   | heartily, but good