Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: linux friendly businesses

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: linux friendly businesses
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:06:26 -0500 (CDT)

Yeah, that might be good.  Then we don't have to label PCTel HSP modems
and LT Winmodems, which will soon both have Linux drivers (reportedly).

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Tom Hull wrote:

> I like this. Of course, sooner or later we'd wind up stickering everything
> in their store. We might want to limit it to something like "Linux Choice",
> based on performance, value, ease of install/configure/use, citizenship,
> etc.
>
> A fancier idea would be to put together a kiosk.
>
> Jonathan Hall wrote:
> >
> > An idea I've had, and think have mentioned at an ACLUG meeting before...
> > Would be for ACLUG to make up some "Compatible with Linux"
> > stickers/tags/signs.  We could then visit area computer resellers
> > (CompUSA, Best Buy, NCR, etc), and ask if we could display the tag beside
> > the hardware items they sell that are Linux compatible.  In exchange for
> > letting us put the sign there, we list their organization on our web site
> > as a place that is known to sell Linux-compatible computer hardware.
> >
> > We could make up signs to put on sound cards, modems, etc, that are known
> > to work in Linux.  The little signs would somehow designate ACLUG as the
> > certifying entity, and provide our web page URL or something.  Would
> > provide the businesses with some free advertisement, as well as provide
> > our group with some free advertisement, as well as provide a service to
> > the Linux community as people shop for new hardware.
> >
> > On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, phrostie wrote:
> >
> > > i like the idea, but it assumes that they care.
> > > if they cared to start, then their names would spread by word of mouth.
> > >
> > > i would recommend any linux friendly business that i discovered.
> > > i have a hard time finding customer friendly businesses.
> > >
> > > let me know if you find any
> > >
> > > phrostie

> --
> /*
>  * Tom Hull -- mailto:thull@xxxxxxxxxxx or thull@xxxxxxxxxx
>  *             http://www.ocston.org/~thull/
>  */

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-