Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: linux friendly businesses

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: linux friendly businesses
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:29:02 +0000

Hi,

I would not normally post this quasi-advertisment in the ACLUG list, but
I think the topic warrants it.

Tom Hull wrote:

> When I asked my modem question a while back, my less explicit question
> was which (if any) Wichita-area computer stores/businesses are most
> knowledgeable and supportive of Linux? I probably hit a dozen stores,
> found lots of people who had a vague idea of what Linux is, but didn't
> find anyone who could/would help me. As more people become interested
> in Linux, it becomes more and more important to get local businesses
> into supporting, promoting and selling Linux.

Although we don't actually sell linux distributions, we do offer support
services for any distribution of linux here at CSS Group, which is
located in Wichita.  We recently supplied one of our customers with an
extensive "linux" solution and have provided both hardware and software
for this.  We have also supplied support services for linux
installations for various customers.

We can and have provided pre built, pre configured linux systems for
private and corporate use, with on site and carry in warranties, and
service contracts within 50 miles of Wichita (and outside that range if
travel costs are considered.)  Although we cannot compete with larger
vendors due to volume pricing, we do provide a local company with
knowledgeable staff to do you support.

> It occurs to me that one approach to promoting Linux would be to set
> up some sort of certification program, where a group like ACLUG would
> set out a minimal set of standards, and companies that qualify could
> then display some sort of plaque which says the store/business is
> "ACLUG-Certified Linux Friendly". The ACLUG web site would then also
> have a listing of ACLUG-Certified businesses, so the whole thing
> works as a co-promotion. (There could be multiple levels, possibly
> including an "ACLUG-Certified Linux Fanatic" for MSFT-free outfits.)

We have considered the Red Hat program of certification but have not
found it to be cost effective for our area.  We have a staff of three
who can team to solve just about any configuration, installation, and
customization issue and although we could easily be certified (either in
the mental sense or in linux configuration:) have chosen not to do so at
this time.

I think there would be limited support from hardware vendors in the
area, although the big hardware suppliers are waking up to Linux.. Best
Buy, CompUSA, and even Sam's have been seen selling linux
distributions.  I suspect that more and more linux support will show up
on larger and larger scales..  I don't know about National Computers,
and the other hardware vendors in the area..

Should there be a list.. Please put us on it.

In the mean time, I've agreed in the past to answer any linux questions
I can, within my time constraints and knowledge.  So feel free to ask me
questions, I'll answer them when and if I can.

--
      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...