Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] The Future

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] The Future
From: Larry_Bottorff@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:27:58 -0500

I went to my first ACLUG meeting last night. Glad I went. I'd eventually like to
get some opinions on the future of Linux, open source, and the "peasant revolt"
in general. I work for a big tax software firm, and we're exclusively Microsoft.
I get a lot of pressure to "make Bill my personal savior". Our present work is
in VB, even though we're supposed to be heading for the Web--whatever that
means. Any talk about Linux, etc. produces long, concerned faces, sort of like
adults when they're dealing with an errant, immature child. . . .

Q1: Since VB on the exclusive Microsoft LAN is so dominant today, what does the
Linux/open source counter with?

Q2: Wichita, much more than most places, is in the grip of MS. Is there a market
for non-MS technology? Is anybody out there trying to do data management
(biggest use of computers) in ways other than VB/Access/SQL Server?

I guess I'd like Linux to be more than just a hobby. Maybe some strategizing
would make me feel better.

Larry Bottorff