Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: The Future

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: The Future
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Sep 1999 13:02:57 -0500

Hi Larry!

Larry_Bottorff@xxxxxxx writes:

> I went to my first ACLUG meeting last night. Glad I went. I'd eventually like
> get some opinions on the future of Linux, open source, and the
"peasant revolt"

Ahh, well to sum things up, proprietary software is doomed and will
become largely extinct.  Companies that rely upon it for
mission-critical tasks are probably already, or will shortly, feel the
crunch as well.

If you want a bit more detail, check out my paper at
http://www.complete.org/papers/fsethics/

To get more into it, probably we'll need a bit more specific question,
because the answer to the above question could take several hundred
pages :-)

> Q1: Since VB on the exclusive Microsoft LAN is so dominant today, what does
> the
> Linux/open source counter with?

What don't we counter with :-)

We have Perl, Python, Free Java (kaffe, guavac, gjc, etc), Tcl, etc.
Any one of which is an excellent contender.

-- John