[aclug-L] Re: cleaning up.
[Top] [All Lists]
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index] [Thread Index]
John Goerzen wrote:
> A useful command for finding problems is:
> Shows you the partions that are using space.
> When you are in a particular directory, try:
> du -s *
> (if it scrolls by too fast, use du -s * | less)
> This will show you where all the space in a given directory is used.
> You can then "drill down" into subdirectories to find the offending
> Generally, the only temporary files that Linux might create are
> cleaned up automatically at each boot.
> -- John
> Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I am putting too much junk in my hard drive, and now, I am at 99% and I
> > am running in to lock up troubles. I do not know what files are trash.
> > I have found my down loads, and cleaned them up, but I have almost an
> > extra gig from where I do not know. I installed at around 750 meg. I
> > added an extra 400 meg in programs, this should still leave me with 1
> > gig available, I've cleaned off 200 meg of my 400 meg downloads, the 200
> > meg is the only opening. I show. Does Linux keep a cache of what has
> > transpired, if so where is it and how can it be cleaned. I've cleaned
> > up netscape's cache, and that was 15 meg, but I cannot account for the
> > extra 1000 meg!!!!
> > HELP
> > MIKE
I've got the broom out and am cleaning up, but I do not know how to safely
clear out or at least down, the /var/log/boot.log (486798668 bytes) It is
hugh!!!! But if I do a delete on it, with the system freak? Should I go
into vi, and wipe 486 meg of it ? This has been running since last
december, with all my hardware problems, but I cannot imagine that hugh, with
it just being the copy of the boot up screens! Why the 200 meg jump in one
week's time? I deleted star office off completely. This is over 2 gig of
hard drive space for the Linux partition.
- [aclug-L] cleaning up., Michael Holmes, 1999/09/06
- Re: [aclug-L] cleaning up., phrostie, 1999/09/06
- Re: [aclug-L] cleaning up., John Phillips, 1999/09/07
- [aclug-L] Re: cleaning up., John Goerzen, 1999/09/26
- [aclug-L] Re: cleaning up.,
Michael Holmes <=
- [aclug-L] Re: cleaning up., Jeff, 1999/09/26
- [aclug-L] A real newbie, Bruce Bales, 1999/09/28
- [aclug-L] Re: A real newbie, Jeff, 1999/09/29
- [aclug-L] Re: A real newbie, Craig Terhune, 1999/09/29
- [aclug-L] Re: A real newbie, Bruce Bales, 1999/09/29
- [aclug-L] Re: A real newbie, phrostie, 1999/09/29