Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] cleaning up.

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] cleaning up.
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:33:15 -0500 (CDT)

this why its good to create seperate partitions, this way you can't stop
the system from booting by filling up slash

as root goto the / directory and run

du -s *
which will give you the total for each directory of slash in kilobytes.
Keep doing that to narrow down the directories that are the biggest.

do a man on du for other useful options like du -a (will the size of
directories and files).

With some other shell commands (sort, grep, uniq) you can probably find
what eating up the space

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Michael Holmes wrote:

> phrostie wrote:
>
> > one gig?
> > sorry, i was amazed when i had a 165 meg swap file from gimp.
> >
> > check and make sure that it's really mounted(that partition)
> > do a df and make sure that your total is at least  correct.
> >
> > Michael Holmes wrote:
> >
> >> I am putting too much junk in my hard drive, and now, I am at 99%
> >> and I
> >> am running in to lock up troubles.  I do not know what files are
> >> trash.
> >> I have found my down loads, and cleaned them up, but I have almost
> >> an
> >> extra gig from where I do not know.  I installed at around 750 meg.
> >> added an extra 400 meg in programs, this should still leave me with
> >> 1
> >> gig available, I've cleaned off 200 meg of my 400 meg downloads, the
> >> 200
> >> meg is the only opening. I show.  Does Linux keep a cache of what
> >> has
> >> transpired, if so where is it and how can it be cleaned.  I've
> >> cleaned
> >> up netscape's cache, and that was 15 meg, but I cannot account for
> >> the
> >> extra 1000 meg!!!!
> >>
> >> HELP
> >>
> >> MIKE
> >
> > --
> > phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
> > and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.
> > http://www.cottagesoft.com/~phrostie/cad-tastrafy
> >

> I assigned 4 drives when I set it up.  / , /home, /swap, /stuff
> df does not show the condition of /swap, and I guess it will not.  but
> the one I am worrying about is the root drive.  it should show 750 meg(
> the origional install) and 200 meg (my crap)  and have 900 meg free!
> /swap is 64 meg, and /home is about 500 meg, and /stuff is 1gig.  my
> root drive is showing 96 percent after I erased 200 meg.
>
> Mike

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
G:  All right sir.  See the little box with the row of lights on the front?
    We'll call that the wiggly-diggly.
Cu: Uh-huh.
G:  When the lights on the wiggly-diggly flash rapidly, click on the
    thingamajig, and your doodlybum should open.  Voila!  You're connected.
Cu: Okay ... yeah, I think I got it.  Thanks!
Ch: Say Greg?
G:  Yeah Chief?
Ch: Don't you think that call was a little ... ohh ... precedent setting?
G:  If you're trying to terrify me, it's too damn late.
                                        -- Greg, Customer and The Chief
User Friendly, 6/14/1998