Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: cleaning up.

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: cleaning up.
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Sep 1999 07:24:50 -0500

A useful command for finding problems is:

df

Shows you the partions that are using space.

When you are in a particular directory, try:

du -s *

(if it scrolls by too fast, use du -s * | less)

This will show you where all the space in a given directory is used.
You can then "drill down" into subdirectories to find the offending
files.

Generally, the only temporary files that Linux might create are
cleaned up automatically at each boot.

-- John