Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] smc ethernet

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] smc ethernet
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:01:25 -0500

phrostie wrote:

> i have an smc(WD clone) ethernet card that worked well on my older PHT
> 2.0 system (kernel 2.0.33)but
> my newer RH 5.2 (2.0.36) won't see it.

Two months ago I bought a LinkSys eth0 card because the box said it
supports linux. Well, the included floppy said it used the tulip module
driver. The tulip module that comes with RedHat 6.0 is an old (stable)
version. To make the card work, I had to the download the latest tulip
module source code and compile it. I did not have to do anything to the
kernel. After this, the card worked fine. You may have to do the same
for yours.

James