Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Thanks for the tip, and another question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Thanks for the tip, and another question
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:35:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Michael Holmes wrote:

> I got it configured.  I realized that if it is below one block, it would show
> zero.  My conflict was the kernel was allocating  ttyS0-3 then running isapnp.

That's not really the case... the files in /proc aren't really files.
They're just presented as files to to make accessing them easy, but
they're basically hooks into the kernel to access system information.
They're always zero because they're really zero... they don't take up any
disk space (only inodes, I assume) just like symbolic file links.

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)