Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] 386 kernel help

To: ACLUG List <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] 386 kernel help
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:05:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Jeff wrote:

> I've been trying to get a 386 to boot for a week now; I've tried several
> combinations of .config options. I thought maybe it was the 386, but it
> boots DOS just fine; I tried the bootdisk in a 486, and it did the same
> thing as the 386 ("Loading........\nUncompressing linux....Ok, now booting
> kernel." and that's it).  I use a similar procedure to make 486 bootdisks,
> so I'm thinking it's the kernel.
>
> If any of you still have a .config (and which kernel version) around that
> boots a 386, I'd be very grateful :) Short of that, I'd be curious to try
> a 386 kernel image itself.

I'm running a 386DX40 under Debian linux 2.0.36 with no problems.  I just
used the boot images off the Debian CD initially, then built a custom
kernel.  Unless you are running a PS2/MCA system, I don't see why the
kernel on your distribution won't work.  Are you sure the floppy is okay??
Have you tried downloading the latest floppy image off the web? I'd check
those things first.  It's usually the simple things that we overlook...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a