Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] 386 kernel help

To: ACLUG List <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] 386 kernel help
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 11:37:37 -0500 (CDT)

With only 4mb RAM, you will more than likely NEED a HD (or some media for
a swap partition).  I booted a diskless 386 before with 8mb RAM... that
was barely enough.  To even load a shell, your computer will need to be
able to swap to disk.

I don't know if that's what's causing this problem, but it could be...

Also, I know many of the Distribution's installation floppies require 6mb
to run (while only requiring 4mb to run Linux once it's installed).

Are you using a custom-made boot disk, or a pre-packaged "Rescue disk"?

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Jeff wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Jonathan Hall wrote:
>
> > Got HD support?  FD support?  ELF binary support?
>
> I specifically did not include HD support; I wonder if I broke
> down and put it in the 486 one.  There is a HD in the box, but I don't
> plan on using it.
>
> Yes on FD support :)
> Yes on ELF, no on a.out.
>
> Heck, maybe I shoulda posted my .config.
> It's gotta be something pretty basic, though, as the kernel doesn't even
> try to boot.  The machine only has 4M of RAM; the kernel is only 300-some
> K, and shouldn't be trying to allocate more than a meg or so...
>
> -jeff
> --
> "That yong girl is one of the least benightedly unintelligent organic life
> forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid
> meeting" - Marvin the Robot, from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-