Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Bash in virtual console under X, also Cable modems...

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Bash in virtual console under X, also Cable modems...
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:11:32 -0500

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but isn't a "cable modem" (funny name since it
doesn't modulate or demodulate--all digital) a standalone device that simply
connects to your computer via ethernet cable and a nic in your PC.  The
"cable modem" negotiates the connection with the cable-company.  So to use a
cable-modem with Linux, you simply have to have IP networking enabled, and
have the appropriate network numbers, dns, default gw, etc.

My brother in San Diego has had a cable modem for over a year and LOVES it.
It is a very fast connection. His setup provides a static IP address.  The
rumor I heard is that Wichita's setup will provide dynamic addressing as
your connection is in use---YUCK--not cool for those of us wanting to run
servers or have static addresses for gaming budies.  Dynamic addressing
might throw a wrench in my thoughts above.

For people who do get cable-modems and linux working well---perfect
opportunity for my (Wayne's) meeting topic--sharing that Internet connection
with a home network.

One major downside to cable-modems: no choice of ISP.  Alternative might be
DSL (Digital Subscriber Lines) scheduled to hit 3rd quarter 99 from South
Western Bell. http://www.swbell.com
Karl Friesen of Southwind tells me they hope to hit the ground running as
soon as DSL is available.  It will be more expensive than a cable modem, but
much faster and can use your regular phone cabling.  Unlike ISDN, with DSL,
your phone will still work when the power is out.  DSL is a dedicated full
time connection with a static IP address.  There are some
restrictions--check it out.

Level 1 DSL: 1.5MB download (384KB guaranteed) / 128KB upload
Level 2 DSL: 6MB download (1.5MB guaranteed) / 1.5MB upload (I think)

Thanks to Al Gore for finally speeding up the Internet! <g>

Troy Wolf
troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx