Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Bash in virtual console under X, also Cable modems...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Bash in virtual console under X, also Cable modems...
From: Brian Chapman <tchapman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:07:27 -0500

At 5/10/99 11:11 AM , Troy Wolf wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but isn't a "cable modem" (funny name since
> it
> doesn't modulate or demodulate--all digital) a standalone device that
> simply
> connects to your computer via ethernet cable and a nic in your PC.  The
> "cable modem" negotiates the connection with the cable-company.  So to use
> cable-modem with Linux, you simply have to have IP networking enabled, and
> have the appropriate network numbers, dns, default gw, etc.

actually, it does modulate and demodulate, at least the first gen CMs did. i
confess i don't know the specifics, but i remember reading a number of FAQs
that explained how a CM is still technicaly a modem.

> My brother in San Diego has had a cable modem for over a year and LOVES
> it.
> It is a very fast connection. His setup provides a static IP address.  The
> rumor I heard is that Wichita's setup will provide dynamic addressing as
> your connection is in use---YUCK--not cool for those of us wanting to run
> servers or have static addresses for gaming budies.  Dynamic addressing
> might throw a wrench in my thoughts above.

i does suck, but thats their point. besides, there are ways around this. When
Monolith (ml.org) was operating they had a dynamic DNS service that you could
use to apply a host name (ie: yourname.dyn.ml.org) to your current IP. it
worked great while it lasted. there are other similar services still around,
but i haven't tried any as of yet. anybody have some suggestions?

> One major downside to cable-modems: no choice of ISP.

well, yes and no. your stuck with their routing and infrastructure, but you can
still get usenet, pop, and web space from third party vendors that specialize
in their service. it might cost more though.

> Alternative might be
> DSL (Digital Subscriber Lines) scheduled to hit 3rd quarter 99 from South
> Western Bell. http://www.swbell.com

bell keep a schedule?! yeah and may alien abducted cows fly out my a$$ ;-)

> Karl Friesen of Southwind tells me they hope to hit the ground running as
> soon as DSL is available.  It will be more expensive than a cable modem,
> but
> much faster and can use your regular phone cabling.  Unlike ISDN, with
> DSL,
> your phone will still work when the power is out.  DSL is a dedicated full
> time connection with a static IP address.  There are some
> restrictions--check it out.
>
> Level 1 DSL: 1.5MB download (384KB guaranteed) / 128KB upload
> Level 2 DSL: 6MB download (1.5MB guaranteed) / 1.5MB upload (I think)

if that's true, it sounds better than putting up with Cablevision B.S.