Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Bash in virtual console under X, also Cable modems...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Bash in virtual console under X, also Cable modems...
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:30:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Troy Wolf wrote:
> rumor I heard is that Wichita's setup will provide dynamic addressing as
> your connection is in use---YUCK--not cool for those of us wanting to run
> servers or have static addresses for gaming budies.  Dynamic addressing
> might throw a wrench in my thoughts above.

Which I'm sure is exactly the reason they're doing it that way.  They
don't want people running servers off of a $40 connection.  (Which I'd
jump on in a heartbeat.  $180 a month for a dedicated 33.6 modem is
stiff.)

> One major downside to cable-modems: no choice of ISP.  Alternative might be
> DSL (Digital Subscriber Lines) scheduled to hit 3rd quarter 99 from South

If only they'd offer SDSL or ADSL in the opposite direction... I need lots
of *outbound* bandwidth and very little inbound.

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)