Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Need topic suggestions

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Need topic suggestions
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:50:08 -0500

TOPIC SUGGESTIONS:
Jonathon Hall's suggestions all sound great to me.  Wayne's suggestions hit
me right where I'm at, though.

I just set up a transparent-proxy, masquerading firewall using ipchains.
I'd like to learn more about it.  I'm also, as some of you know, desperately
trying to get my Linux machine to successfully answer PPP dial in requests.
(and STAY connected!)  So Wayne's second suggestion sounds good to me as
well! (by the way, any RH users doing PPP "server": PLEASE CONTACT ME!  I'm
ready to jump off the RH bandwagon because the lack of local RH gurus
compared to Slackware and Debian.)

It's obviously important to hit topics that meet the general needs of the
group.  I'm using Linux in a corporate environment, but I would think that
most users would (or should) be interested in

#1) dynamic dial-out to an ISP
#2) IP-masquerading

I say this because I think a lot of home users would like the ability to
share their Internet connection with other PC's (even just one other Windows
machine as is probably common for many)  It's a powerful thing to be able to
share a single $10.00 (or whatever) ISP account with 2 or more PC's in your
home or office.  (I've been told that because of the bursty nature of web
browsing, almost 12 people can share a regular Internet connection without
compromising speed very much.  Gaming or ftp type traffic (streaming) is a
whole other story!)  (Now, John Goerzen, I know working for Southwind, maybe
you don't want to help people share a single internet connection with
multiple PC's! <g>)  For people with kids and worried about crap on the
Internet, we could talk about how to share your ISP connection with a PC in
a child's bedroom or playroom, and through ipchains, only allow access to
certain sites like Disney.com or Nickelodian, etc.  (although, from my first
visit to ACLUG, I don't know how applicable filtering would be to the group)

Either one of these 2 components would take a full meeting.  Maybe to
compliment this we could discuss networking components in general:

nics
hubs
cables
cross-connect cables

I could talk about Category-5 Ethernet cabling and how to build standard
cables, cross-connect cables and where to use the different cables depending
on your needs.  (ie: connecting 2 pc's without a hub, connecting multiple
hubs, etc.)

Also, it's probably easy, but I haven't done it yet: I'd love a meeting
devoted to using samba.

Sharing Linux drives with Windows98 and vice versa
Sharing printers between Linux & Windows

Can we go to a meeting every week?! <g>

Troy Wolf
troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx