Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] ntmag

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] ntmag
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 22:02:33 -0500

phrostie wrote:

> a man i used to work with in austin is considering learning linux.
> his day job is as an nt administrator.
> today he sent me this article asking me what i thought .
> in truth most of what the author is talking about is over my head.
> my understanding is that linux has always had support for SMP,
> with 2.2 it is more efficient.
> i would like to give him some constructive feed back, but
> once again this is over my head.
> not too much nt bashing please :-).
> thankyou
>
> http://www.winntmag.com/Magazine/Article.cfm?ArticleID=5048

Yes i have seen the article. As far i recall, if you are using NTSERVER
you can can go up to 32 cpu
(But there are some caveats running multiple processor NT, i read
somewhere some time ago that as you inceease the number of cpu,
performance decrease proportionately..do some digging on that and i bet
you will find a lot of info on the net)

On the other hand,(And Please correct me if i am wrong), with the  new
2.2 Linux Kernel you can go up to 4 way smp..is that right?

Also refer to this article about some weaknesses of Linux...

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-penguin5.html?05-03

Now don't get me wrong. I love linux and all that..but i think it still
needs some work for world domination ( We are well under way). I think
as a linux lover we need to throughly educate ourselves about what linux
can do right now(Which is a alot) and in the future(I.e replacing NT in
enterprise)..and also gain knowledge about it's strength and weaknesses.

So definitely recommend your friend to jump into the linux boat and join
a great community...and don't forget to point out some great linux
strength, rock-solid stability, impressive uptime, no cut-throat license
requirement, great great tools and softwares and above all it is soo
darn CHEAP!!

Hope this helps.

Mohammed