Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] ntmag

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] ntmag
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 18:33:55 -0500

phrostie wrote:

> that was kinda my opinion of most anti linux articles.
> i was hoping for a more technical rebutal.

Read this article about NT vs. Linux SMB.

http://www.byte.com/letters/1999/05/19990503_letters.html

I can't answer the technical question, but there is a commercial SMB
machine where I work. The bottom line is performance verses cost (and
cost of software development). Obviously Linux on a cheap PC is cheaper
then NT which is cheaper then Silicon Graphics hardware with Irix OS.
It's simple to see where the bargain is. If I was the owner of a
mult-million dollar internet business, I'd probably go for SGI. If I was
Joe blow hobbyist or business owner, I'd go for Linux. NT would be last
choice (even if it were faster) because of software development costs
and hassles over the closed source environment.

P.S. Linux is even being ported to Silicon Graphics hardware. NT I
believe is ported to SGI also. Hmmmm.... instead of benchmarks (which
are subjective), try following the money. By the way, big business will
decide who the winner is, if there is such a thing as a winner.

James.