Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] lwm URL, as promised

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] lwm URL, as promised
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 22:16:34 -0500 (CDT)

http://users.ch.genedata.com/~enh/lwm.html

A screenshot is at: http://www2.southwind.net/~schaller/lwm.gif

It's a 1024x768 gif (24k).  I'm not sure how it picked up that ugly green
for a background, but I have xsetroot -solid cadetblue, trust me :)

The screenshot shows about all the 'features' of lwm.  The mouse pointer
doesn't show, but is pointing at the top line of that pop-up menu.

Other than that, I think I'll just let the webpage and the program speak
for itself.  I doubt there's an RPM for it, but if there's great desire, I
could build one.  Otherwise, just grab the tiny tarball and 'make' :)
The entire build is barely over 100k; the end executable is ~20k.
'top', when I can get lwm to show up, gives

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
14074 schaller   0   0   432  332   252 S       0  0.3  1.0   0:10 lwm

and it's been running since about 7am this morning.

As far as a quick-start guide to lwm:

To exit, Cntrl-Alt-Backspace :)
Middle button on the background gives you an xterm.
Left button on a border raises/resizes it.
Middle button on a border moves it.
Shift right-button on a border lowers it.
Right button on a border "iconifies" it (makes it go away).
Right button on the background gives you a list of 'iconified' windows.

That's it -- no menus, wharfs, docks, or customization (well, you have the
source). :)

-jeff